Queens Family Lawyer
Nothing is more reassuring than having a Queens Family Lawyer with knowledge of the Court system and how it works when it comes to maneuvering the challenging process of a Family Law dispute. For this reason, an experienced Queens Family Lawyer from the law firm of Stephen Bilkis and Associates has taken this opportunity to provide a succinct summary of Family Law and the Queens Court system.
In the following paragraphs we will explain the various types of cases that the Queens Family Court hears, the individuals who supervise the Court, and the location of vital offices at the Queens Family Courthouse. After reading, if you need further information, we can provide a no-cost consultation with one of our knowledgeable Queens Family Lawyers to discuss your case and concerns. For divorce information, please follow this link Queens Divorce Lawyer.
The Queens Family Court deals with matters involving Paternity, establishing paternity, or challenging a paternity finding; Child Custody (both Full and Joint Custody) and visitation involving non-custodial parents, grandparents rights, and other family members; Spousal support (or alimony) and Child Support, which can include emancipation in which a parent’s custodial rights are terminated; Abuse and Neglect as well as Orders of Protection; Criminal issues involving children under the age of 16; and any other legal and criminal issues involving the family and family relationships, including annulment, separation and divorce.
The address of the Queens Family Court is 151-02 Jamaica Ave. Queens, New York 11432.
A varied array of people oversee Family Court cases in Queens. It involves much more than the dominion of Judges, Queens Family Court involves Court Attorneys, Support Magistrates, and Judicial Hearing Officers:
- Judges attend to Abuse and Neglect cases, Orders of Protection, and those cases that might involve incarceration.
- It is the Support Magistrate’s position to hear cases involving child support.
- Judges, Judicial Hearing Officers, and Referees hear visitation and Child Custody cases.
Under some circumstances, those people involved in a case will confer with a Court Attorney, a lawyer working under the direction of the Judge, who tries to find a way to resolve a case before it gets to the courtroom.
In Queens, a Court Attorney directed by a Judge in a child custody issue can meet with both the Respondent’s and the Petitioner’s Queens Family Lawyers in an effort to mediate an agreement that can work for all parties involved.
Additionally, in some Child Custody cases an attorney appointed by the Family Court Judge known as the Law Guardian will step in to advocate for the child’s rights and to preserve the child’s best interests, without the child being present in the meeting.
The Intake and General Clerk’s Offices are accessible on the first floor of Queens Family Court. A case calendar is posted outside of this office, in a centralized area where Queens Family Lawyers are able to meet with their clients while waiting to be called into court.
Hopefully you found this brief introduction the Queens Family Court helpful. Remember, our Queens Family Lawyers at the offices of Stephen Bilkis and Associates are always available to help you whether you are dealing with Child Custody, Visitation Child Support, Paternity, Relocation, Emancipation, Orders of Protection, Neglect, Abuse, or any other Family Court matter. To schedule a free consultation, simply call 1-800-NYNY-LAW to schedule an appointment in any one of our convenient offices in Queens, Manhattan as well as Brooklyn, the Bronx, Staten Island, Nassau, Suffolk and Westchester Counties.
- Queens Abuse & Neglect Lawyer
- Queens Child Support Lawyer
- Queens Custody Lawyer
- Queens Divorce Lawyer
- Queens Father's Rights Lawyer
- Queens Grandparent's Rights Lawyer
- Queens Guardianship Law Lawyer
- Queens Joint Custody Lawyer
- Queens Order of Protection Lawyer
- Queens Paternity Lawyer
- Queens Relocation Lawyer
- Queens Spousal Support Lawyer
- Queens Visitation Lawyer
- Social Services Brings Child Neglect Case Against Grandmother A New York Family Lawyer said that, in a neglect proceeding pursuant to Family Court Act. Article 10, the maternal grandmother appeals from an order ....
- Father Requests Return of Children A New York Family Lawyer said this is a contested matrimonial action before the Supreme Court of the State of New York. A New York Divorce Lawyer said ....
- Mother Appeals Ruling Terminating Her Parental Rights A New York Family Lawyer said this is a motion brought before the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of the State of New York, Second Department, ....